WHAT TO DO
- Get what you need:
- Seesaw platform (e.g., ruler, paint stirrer, large craft stick, or yardstick)
- Toilet-paper tube
- Weights (e.g., pennies or metal washers)
- Build your seesaw: Tape the toilet-paper tube to the table as shown in the illustration. This is your fulcrum, the point where your platform rests. Then balance your seesaw platform on top. Adjust the platform until it's parallel to the tabletop.
- Try these challenges: The goal of each challenge is to have the platform be level, sitting parallel to the tabletop. Once it's level, we say it's balancing. Before you start, here are three hints.
- It's okay to have the platform touch the table while you're working on a challenge.
- It's okay to move the platform and change where it touches the fulcrum.
- The weights don't have to be stacked or placed together on the platform.
Challenge 2: Put three weights on one side of the platform and six weights on the other.
Challenge 3: Set the platform so one end sticks out twice as far beyond the fulcrum as the other end. Add weights until the platform is level.
Challenge 4: Put ten weights on one end of the platform and NONE on the other end.